The call has gone out by Her Bad Mother to see what everyone is currently carrying, right this minute, in their bags. Or, errr, in my case, my backpack, my little black backpack:
This backpack is actually just my latest one after a long string of little black backpacks. And, I have to say, it took some serious effort to find this one a few months ago as they seem to have gone out of style this past year, much to my dismay. Because I am not a 'purse' girl, save for special events, because I like to have my hands free.
Plus, I've found it's infinitely easier to chase runaway toddlers when you're not trying to carry a bag.
Anway, today's contents:
1. Spare car key.
2. House keys on pink hook and all-time favorite pewter eeyore keyring.
3. Pink cell phone. (Yes, I have a girly pink cell phone. It prevents my husband from borrowing it when he can't find his.)
4. Sunglasses and sunglass bag.
5. 2007 'Splat Cat' Diary.
6. Miscellaneous stack of receipts, including receipts from Ikea, Boots, and the butcher shop.
7. Oversized wallet stuffed full of crap. (Thank gawd we're not emptying these for examination because it would take up a whole lot more space on the floor!)
8. Map of Cambridge and assorted pens.
10. Organic fruit and cereal bar. (Toddler staple.)
11. Wooden laundry clip. (I have no idea what it's doing in there. None whatsoever.)
12. Footsie nylons for impromptu shoe-shopping trips. (You never know when you're going to run into cute shoes you just have to try on.)
13. £2 off coupon for digital photos at Boots. (Reminds me: must get photos onto disk and printed out!)
Bottom Row, make up case in which I found:
14. 2 Clinique concealer sticks. (Sleep's clearly at a premium around here!)
15. 1 Clinique pressed powder.
16. Clinique lip gloss, 2 colors.
18. Tweezers. (Come in especially handy in dressing rooms with hideously bright, unforgiving lighting which clearly exposes those sticky-uppy gray hairs you would like to otherwise pretend you don't have. sigh)
19. Large safety pin. (I carry more of these in my wallet.)
20. Very beaten up emory board. (I used to have a cat that would steal every emory board she could find in the house and hoard them under the stairs. Now I have a two year old that steals them. I have yet to find his stash, though.)
21. Spare pair of disposable contacts. (Looking at the picture, I can't help but notice that the two contact foil packets placed side by side like this kind of look like a condom packet. Strange, very strange.)
22. Clinique mirror. (Yes, by now you've figured it out: I am a Clinique girl. And I live for Clinique bonus times at the various shops. Laugh it up.)
And that's it, the current contents of my little black backpack. Everything else I have to carry with me on a daily basis (nappies, wipes, sunscreen, hats, etc.) goes on the stroller, either underneath it or in a bag hanging off of it.
Oh, and I would also like to mention that the little black backpack was just one more reason I was so taken with the lovely Painted Maypole when she popped into Cambridge a couple of weeks ago: she, too, was sporting a little black backpack. Perhaps she'll share the contents of hers with the masses this week, too, if she ever finishes sorting out her zillion and one holiday pictures. ;-)
Now I'm off to charge my girly pink cellphone so I can actually use it tomorrow.